2013 has dawned on us all too suddenly and I now find myself in the year I turn 30. Having always been up for a challenge, I thought there would be no challenge better than to give myself the ’30 before 30′ challenge.
The thoughts and feelings that come with hitting a certain number of years are often accompanied by the ‘I wish I had….’ feeling. Instead of allowing this year to go by and encountering such feelings in December when I turn 30, I felt that making a list of challenges to achieve by that time would be a good focus for my year.
The list has been chopped and changed a few times, but after much editing, I have a finalised list!
- Run a 5k for charity (I do it at the gym, why not get out there and do it for a good cause?)
- Run a 10k for charity (Because once you’ve gone halfway, you should really finish!)
- Zorbing (Yes, the big inflatable ball that you sit inside and get launched down a hill….)
- Tattoo (After talking about it for years, I should just do it…….this is the challenge my mum will hate!)
- Have Breakfast at Tiffany’s (My best friend and I are going to New York this summer – number 5, 6 and 7 are all related.)
- See a show on Broadway
- Have a manhattan in Manhattan
- Sing at a piano bar/open mic
- Pull a proper pint (this would be even better if it were a pint of Guinness!)
- Invent my signature cocktail
- Reconnect with old friends (I’m hoping I get the chance to do this over this year –there are many people who I have lost touch with over time and do not want that to continue!)
- Learn a new craft (I started to learn to crochet just at New Year so this one is already in progress…..)
- Stay up all night and watch the Oscars/Golden Globes (I’ve never done this but I’ve always wanted to see the whole show, not just the highlights they show on the news the next day!)
- Customise my clothes (This is a skill I’d like to perfect – endless possibilities)
- Have a Harry Potter Marathon (The Harry Potter books and films have been a part of my life since they first came out in 1997 when I was a teenager. I own all the films and would like to do an epic all day/night movie marathon and watch the whole thing!
- Cook an authentic paella (even if it’s just once!)
- Eat Oysters (I have previously chickened out on this one – I want a second chance!!)
- Bake a cake for an occasion (I can’t bake – this is a feminine skill I appear to completely lack. This wrong must be righted before I turn 30.)
- Make bread from scratch (and make Thomas a sandwich) (It is an endless source of hilarity between my boyfriend and I that I have never made him a sandwich – I will this year and I’ll even make the bread from scratch!)
- Write something on my vintage typewriter (I have three stunning vintage items, all of which are in full working order. Number 20, 21 and 22 are all related.)
- Sew something on my vintage sewing machine
- Learn to use my vintage camera
- Buy all ingredients from a farmer’s market for dinner at least once (I like to buy food from the farmers market, but have never bought the FULL ingredients for a meal from there. I think it’d be fun to try.)
- Volunteer (This could be for anything – as long as it’s helping someone.)
- Refurbish a piece of furniture (Reclaim/Rescue something from a junkyard/shop and give it a makeover)
- Invest time in Portia’s Wardrobe and sell homemade items on there too (Portia’s Wardrobe is my etsy store and I want to make a point of investing time in it and additionally selling some homemade items on it too.)
- Go to an auction (This could be antiques, property, anything – I’ve never been to one!)
- Host a proper dinner party (I love to play hostess but have rarely had the opportunity to do so in the manner I would like – this changes this year!)
- De-clutter and downsize my life (30 years of stuff……it’s time to declutter.)
- Embrace turning 30
Bonus Points for: Skydiving, See the Northern Lights, Be part of a flash-mob
Everytime I achieve one of my 30, I’ll take a picture and write about it in here as a record of what I’ve been doing and how I’m getting on with my challenge. I’m known for setting myself ridiculous goals and challenges but I feel this is do-able! Come with me for the ride?